EASY, LIGHT AND THIN CITRUS CREPES WITH HONEY.
Make the most of the citrus season with these sweet, lacy-edged crepes, perfect for breakfast or brunch!
It is the peak of the citrus season, and I honestly think that if it wasn’t for citrus, I will spend a whole winter wrapped in a blanket, hiding at the bottom of my wardrobe. Their bright and vibrant appearance is just like a ray of sunshine during these dark days.
So let’s celebrate these colorful and juicy fruits with this easy recipe for citrus crepes. They are light, soft, sweet and soooo irresistible! The sharpness of the citrus pairs so well with sweet and sticky honey! They are perfect to serve for breakfast or brunch.
HOW TO MAKE CITRUS CREPES WITH HONEY?
First things first. You will need a good non-stick frying pan. All good crepes and pancakes start with a good frying pan! Once you have that sorted, you are halfway there. Prepare the selection of your favorite citrus fruit, I have used navel oranges but you can use blood oranges or clementines. Simply peel the skins and slice them into the desired thickness.
To make the batter, mix all the ingredients together using an electric mixer, a hand-held whisk or a blender. Let it rest for at least 10 minutes. Resting the batter allows starch molecules to absorb the liquid in the batter, which equals thicker, more viscous consistency.
Once the batter had a chance to rest, heat up your frying pan over medium heat. I recommend wiping the surface of the pan with an oiled paper kitchen towel, but if you have a really good non-stick, tried and tested pan, feel free to skip this step. All that’s left is to pour the batter into the pan. To do that, I always use the ladle. Because it isn’t my first crepe rodeo, I know exactly how much batter I need to pour into it, to cover the surface of my frying pan and give me a perfect crepe. You may have to run a test with yours if you haven’t done it before.
When pouring the batter, swirl and tilt the pan, so it covers the whole surface and gives you an equal thickness all around. Cook each crepe for about 30-40 seconds on each side, until it is golden brown. Serve it with sliced citrus, and a drizzle of honey!
CITRUS CREPES WITH HONEY
- 2-4 medium navel oranges
- 120 grams all-purpose flour
- 2 medium eggs
- 250 ml milk of your choice
- 175 ml sparkling water
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- pinch of salt
- honey to drizzle
- Using a sharp knife, peel all the citrus and cut into medium slices. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, eggs, milk, water salt, and olive oil.
- Mix all ingredients using an electric mixer or a hand whisk, until you have a smooth batter. The batter should be quite thin and runny. Set aside for about 10 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat then wipe it with oiled kitchen paper.
- Using a ladle, pour some batter into the pan, tilting the pan so the batter spreads and covers the surface evenly.
- Allow the crepe to cook for about 40 seconds, without disturbing it. After that time it should turn golden underneath, and it is ready to be flipped onto the other side. Cook on the other side for further 30 seconds or so. Repeat until you have used all the batter.
- Serve crepes on a plate with slices of citrus, and a drizzle of honey. Enjoy!