I am sort of out of words to say today to write about this delicious Christmas Stollen Bread. Well actually, my brain is just a little distracted. I have tons to tell you, but it needs to wait until the time is right. Speaking of timing. I just spent the last hour trying to figure out how to get in all my Christmassy posts before Christmas! How is it only twenty one days away? I have so much to share and so little time.
Oh, and did I mention I have yet to finish my Christmas shopping! I have been too busy making gingerbread cookies, hot chocolate and maybe watching a few too many Christmas movies.
Today is the day though. I plan on spending my whole day glued to the computer until I am done. It is a good day for online shopping since the weather is perfect for staying in and checking things off my to-do list.
I am kind of excited now!
This Christmas stollen bread is going to become a new family-favorite during the holiday season. It is a simple traditional German holiday dessert that features cranberries, candied ginger, walnuts, and almonds. A beautiful fruit-filled and sugar-coated loaf of delicious bread. It is a cross between your favorite loaf of bread and cake.
Christmas stollen bread is a traditional German holiday confection that just packs in textures and flavors. It is filled with dried cranberries and ginger alongside nuts for texture and flavor. I love that this bread is moist and light on the inside and has a slight crisp on the outside that feels actually like a traditional loaf of bread.
I used powdered sugar to dust over the top of my loaf, but you could use regular granulated sugar if preferred. The dusting of sugar on the outside is not necessary for this recipe but is traditional. I find that extra sweeteners help cut the bite of the candied ginger pieces in the bread dough.
Christmas Stollen Bread
- 130 grams butter softened
- 120 grams sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 150 grams cream cheese
- 1 large egg
- 230 grams all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- 40 grams walnuts chopped
- 50 grams almonds chopped
- 70 grams dried cranberries
- 60 grams candied ginger chopped
- a pinch of salt
- powder sugar for dusting
- Start by preheating your oven to 180oC/350oF. Cover baking sheet with some parchment paper.
- Cream butter and sugar using hand mixture. When the butter becomes pale, add an egg, cream cheese, salt, and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
- Separately whisk the flour with baking powder. Combine dry and wet mixture together to form a thick batter, then add nuts, ginger, and cranberries.
- Wet your hands and form batter into a log on a parchment paper-covered baking sheet.
- Bake for 40 minutes, let cool down till warm and dust with powdered sugar.
-SHOP THE POST-